[rhn-users] Gnome Issues

Smith, Troy (NIH/NCI) trsmith at mail.nih.gov
Wed Apr 20 12:49:51 UTC 2005

Hello all.  I apologize if this question is sent to the incorrect list.

Server running RHEL ES 3, patched as of this past weekend.  When boot to
runlevel 5 with Gnome, the login prompt does not appear.  Instead the error
"The theme for the graphical greeter is corrupt.  It does not contain
definition for the username/password entry element" appears.  If we boot to
runlevel 3, and execute startx, the environment comes up, sort of.  The
background is a blue-ish green, none of the panel or desktop icons appear,
and we are unable to execute most of the utilities from the menu.  Booting
to KDE or startx to KDE tests OK.  Same with WindowMaker, but developers
want Gnome.  We have tried completely removing and reinstalling Gnome, but
this did not work.  I'm sure we are missing one or several files somewhere
that need to be replaced.

If anyone has any ideas, we greatly appreciate the assistance.

Thanks

Troy