[rhn-users] automount I/O problems

Doctor Khumalo doctortechie at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 1 16:14:15 UTC 2005

Hi there -

I have a problem when I try to run processes over an automounted directory.
The network seems to timeout and kill the process. Let me get into specifics
so that I don't confuse anyone:

Server = Gandalf (SuSe Linux)
PC = Frodo (Red Hat Enterprise 3)
Network = GB Ethernet

While logged onto Frodo, I automount /net/gandalf, which is the
/arena3/remote directory on Gandalf. I can cd into this directory and create
files and sub-directories as any user with no problem. I open the
application called spm on Frodo and run a report that takes about 20 minutes
and accesses files back and forth between Frodo:/usr/local/spm and
Gandalf:/arena3/remote.

I thought it just might be a problem with the spm application so I tried to
copy 10 GB of data over from Frodo to Gandalf but I consistently got I/O
errors (eg. cp:cannot create regular file
'/net/gandalf/./testDir/01/doc.pps': Input/output error). During this error,
I notice that the /var/log/messages state that the nfs server timing out.
(eg. Feb 15 14:39:19 frodo kernel: nfs: server gandalf not responding, timed
out).

Anyone else experiencing these problems?