[rhn-users] Error running rsync

Tim Evans tkevans at tkevans.com
Tue Aug 2 16:27:48 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 11:23:07 -0500 , Jody Cleveland wrote

> I run this script as a cron job every night as root. For results, I get
> errors like these:

> echo "Mounting backup drive."
> mount -t smbfs -o username=samba,password=haluser2c //blob/destiny
> /mnt/blob

But you mount the share as the user "samba."  Does that user have full admin
rights on the PC?

You might be better using cpio to do your backup:

> echo "Backing up /bin"
> rsync -aH --exclude-from=/home/cleveland/rsync_exclude --delete-after
> --progress /bin/ /mnt/blob/bin/

find /bin -depth -print | cpio -pdv /mnt/blob/bin

You might also post to a more appropriate mailing list.  This one is for users
of RedHat Network (rhn-users, as the name implies); it is not a general RedHat
help list.

--
Tim Evans, TKEvans.com, Inc.    |    5 Chestnut Court
tkevans at tkevans.com             |    Owings Mills, MD 21117