[rhn-users] Displacing Modem Problem

Mc Kiernan, Daniel Kian Mc-Kiernan at att.net
Mon Aug 8 07:22:36 UTC 2005

I would like to configure my computer to recognize and use a PCMCIA
modem, in spite of the presence of a built-in softmodem.

I am running RHEL 4 WS on a Dell Inspiron 9300, which happens to be a
multiboot system.  It has a built-in Conexant "modem" with no on-board
DSP.  I have a Zoom 3075L (V.92) with DSP for the PCMCIA slot.

WinXP has no problem recognizing and using either modem.

Kudzu is apparently panicked by the modems; it makes rather arbitrary
declarations about their presence or absence, often in conflict with
the brute facts.

While the PCMCIA modem is installed, and kudzu has acknowledged the
presence of two generic modems (one presumably the Conexant thing, the
other the PC Card modem), the GUI hardware survey app only
acknowledges the presence of one generic modem.

I don't particularly want to use the softmodem in linux; if the
solution configures the system to be blind to it, that's fine.