[rhn-users] Static IP Address Network Problem

Tim Evans tkevans at tkevans.com
Tue Aug 9 12:11:20 UTC 2005

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 13:12:32 -0600, Hart, Douglas wrote

> Here is a summary of my problem and experiences.  The Fedora machine
> successfully connected to the network, using the static IP address
> for over a year.  Sometime around May 2005, it started to fail
> saying that some other host already uses that address.  The Fedora
> machine can connect to the network using DHCP.  After upgrading to
> AS4 the same problem persists.  Windows machines can connect to the
> network using either DHCP or the static IP address.

Have you actually looked around your network to see if some other machine is
using the address?  'arp' will help you identify the hardware address of the
machine using that address.  Man page for details.

--
Tim Evans, TKEvans.com, Inc.    |    5 Chestnut Court
tkevans at tkevans.com             |    Owings Mills, MD 21117