[rhn-users] Making mknod in Kickstart "stick"

Mallasch, Paul Paul.Mallasch at Tectura.com
Tue Aug 16 16:14:02 UTC 2005

I'm performing a Kickstart installation to a remote machine and I need
to create a device so that I can receive IPMI message from another piece
of hardware using a daemon.

mknod /dev/ipmi0 c 254 0

works fine if I login to a console and execute the step manually, but I
need to do it within my ks.cfg file and make it "stick" so the device
remains for subsequent boot-ups.

I've it tried %pre & %post, but obviously remain confused since it does
not "stick".  I can see it created before the Kickstart reboots however.

Also, a nice overview of the %post %pre environments would really be
appreciated!  Thanks!

--Paul