[rhn-users] RHEL4 upgrade kickstart failures

David Miller justdave at bugzilla.org
Tue Aug 16 19:12:46 UTC 2005

I've made several attempts at using the remote kickstart feature on RHN
to get a few RHEL3 machines upgraded to RHEL4.  However, every time I
try it, the machine boots as if it's doing a manual install and prompts
for the language (even though the language is specifically stated on the
form I filled out on the RHN site to create the kickstart).  The
kickstart was told to use the machine's existing profile for the upgrade.

Checking the logs shows a message "no appropriate device for kickstart
method is available" with no other errors to indicate what device it
can't find or anything.

Anyone have any ideas where to look?  Googling for that error message
didn't turn up much, and the little bit it did turn up was stuff with
trying to compile custom drivers for Red Hat Linux 7.1, which is quite
old these days.

--
Dave Miller                                   http://www.justdave.net/
System Administrator, Mozilla Foundation       http://www.mozilla.org/