[rhn-users] File systems > 2TB

Jesse Becker jbecker at northwestern.edu
Sun Dec 4 22:41:30 UTC 2005

On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 04:13:09PM +0000, Doctor Khumalo wrote:
> I've installed Red Hat Enterprise 4 on teh system disk and want to create a
> file system with the RAID. Does the 2.6 kernel of Red Hat now allow you to
> make ext3 filesystems with over 2 TB?  I tried mke2fs -j /dev/sdb1 and all
> it did was create a 1.7 TB partition.  Not what I had in mind.  Anyone ever
> have ext3 go over 2 TB?

You should probably have a look at the "Large File Support in Linux" page:

	http://www.suse.de/~aj/linux_lfs.html

It should be possible to have >2TB filesystems using ext3 (without using
mdadm, as suggestested elsewhere in this thread), but you have to tweak your
mke2fs command a bit.  Try using something like this:

	mke2fs -v -j -b 2048 /dev/sdb1

You might want to consider some of the various "-O" options as well in case
they help (or hurt!) you performance.

Also, you may want to use "-m 0" as well, since ext[23] reserves 5% of the
filesystem for root-only use.  On huge filesystems, this can lead to a lot of
wasted space.  For example, 5% of 3.7T is 185GB--that's a lot of space
reserved.

--
Jesse Becker
GPG-fingerprint: BD00 7AA4 4483 AFCC 82D0  2720 0083 0931 9A2B 06A2