[rhn-users] RE: IOWAIT state overload (Tim Trott)

Fco. Javier Murillo Ruíz francisco.murillo at cide.edu
Thu Feb 10 16:43:24 UTC 2005

Hi,

I was the same problem too, in our email Server recenttly, the answer was
that the disk I/O was too slowly than the access to the service.
I have more less 1300 users and 25 concurrent users reading email trough
IMAP and 300 POP3 users.
When I look for the problem I encounter that 600 users have more than 400 MB
at INBOX. In mbox format.
The solution that I implement was:
If the problem was that the INBOX is on one disk and the I/O was too slow, I
can make a RAID but I want to implement quotas for INBOX and everything on
email account.
I modify Postfix config to deliver email to home's directory.
Then recompile IMAPd for read those mailbox.
So the home's directory have INBOX and IMAP carpets.
Then make user groups and move that groups to different disk, so the
performance is increased.
Now we have a better performance and a better throughput.

Sorry for my English I'm not native speaker.