[rhn-users] /var/log/messages empty (more info)

GREG WOJTAK GWOJTAK at salliemae.com
Thu Feb 17 13:17:47 UTC 2005

That's because the servers are always running fine until programmers get
on there and start coding, running applications, etc.

:)

Greg Wojtak
Unix Systems Administrator
Sallie Mae
(317) 598-4058

>>> michael.sullivan at eds.com 2/16/2005 4:42:57 PM >>>
When was the last entry in any of your /var/log/messages or
/var/log/syslog
file made?  When was the last time the box was rebooted? Was it a
hard-failure or init 6 ?

You can try running the syslogd with the -d option (debug).  The out
put is
displayed to the current tty.  You should see the /var/log/messages and
the
others listed.  Any errors will be displayed.

#syslogd -d

--Mike.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email from EDS is for the sole use of
the
intended recipient and may contain confidential and privileged
information.
Any unauthorized review or use, including disclosure or distribution
is
prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the
sender and destroy all copies of the email.