[rhn-users] force user to change password on first login

Raj Kumar rajkum2002 at rediffmail.com
Thu Feb 17 16:04:39 UTC 2005

Hello Mike,

Thanks for replying to my posting.

I changed the password for user1 using "passwd -f user1" as root. I logged in successfully without any warnings that user1 password will expire soon. I'll try log in tomorrow as user1 and see if I will get the warning. I may be wrong, but I think I wont get the error/warning message since the password doesn't expire until May 18, 2005

chage  -l user1
Minimum:        0
Maximum:        90
Warning:        7
Inactive:       -1
Last Change:            Feb 17, 2005
Password Expires:       May 18, 2005
Password Inactive:      Never
Account Expires:        Never

I was just wondering what meta information will show that user1 will be given warning message after 24hrs.

Thanks again for your help!

Raj

PS: I am sending this email to rhn-users list now... hope this info will be useful to others...