[rhn-users] Apache 2 + auth_ldap

Lloyd H. Meinholz lloyd.meinholz at bmpcoe.org
Mon Jan 3 18:29:32 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-03 at 13:13, Jonathan Fischer wrote:
> I’m looking to upgrade a webserver from RHEL 2.1 to 3, and one of the
> biggest changes is that I would need to switch Apache versions.  We
> rely rather heavily on the auth_ldap module for Apache 1.3, and I
> noticed that it isn’t included in RHEL 3 for Apache 2.  I poked around
> in the Apache 2 source a bit as well and it appears that the ldap
> module is still marked as ‘experimental’.

I've been using it and haven't had any troubles with it. I am compiling
apache by hand from apache source tarball though and using the following
configure options:

--with-ldap --enable-ldap --enable-auth-ldap

I've never built from a SRPM, but probably you could change the
configure options and rebuild from SRPM. Possibly have to redo this
every time a new version of httpd was released though.

Since auth_ldap was rolled into the apache code base, I don't think you
can build the auth_ldap source tarball and get it to work with Apache
2.0 (auth_ldap doc site says unreleased developer version 1.7 will work,
but I'd rather just use what is in Apache).

There is also the mod_authz_ldap (which I didn't like and never figured
out how to configure using groups the way I wanted) which would be
supported by RedHat and might work for you.

Lloyd