[rhn-users] RHEL 3.0 and Broadcom BCM5704

Scott Ryan scottr at staff.intekom.com
Tue Jan 11 07:56:22 UTC 2005

On Monday 10 January 2005 23:48, Charith Perera wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We recently upgraded our switch to a gigabit one. All the machines appear
> to be successfully communicating at 1000 Mbps without requiring a network
> restart or system reboot. However, one machine, a Dell PE 1750 which has a
> Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5704 Gigabit Ethernet is still communicating at
> 100Mbps. It's using the tg3 driver, which from my understanding has been
> supporting gigabit ethernet cards for quite a while.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas what the problem may be? Does the network or
> system need to be restarted? I doubt that as I assume the driver isn't
> dependent on the network.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Charith Perera.

I am using Dell 1750 RHEL3.0 and it uses the tg3 driver and ethtool indicates
1000Mb/s. I also have a 1750 running RHEL2.1 and it uses the BCM5700 driver.
I think that you are looking at mii-tool and going on it's output. mii-tool
will only respond with 100baseTx-FD even if it is GigEth. Ethtool will give
you the correct response:
[root at phobos root]# ethtool eth3
Settings for eth3:
        Supported ports: [ MII ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Speed: 1000Mb/s