[rhn-users] Automatic update policy

Brian T. Brunner brian.t.brunner at gai-tronics.com
Thu Jan 13 17:24:19 UTC 2005

I'd think to update the Guinea Pig as often as updates are available, in order that individual
catastrophes-in-waiting can be caught.  This requires a test suite for the frequently-updated
'Pig that can be fired off based on an update, and test results mailed to a human.

If there is such a test-suite, I'm interested in finding it.  Naturally it would have to look at
what packages have been installed, and which services enabled.

Brian Brunner
brian.t.brunner at gai-tronics.com
(610)796-5838

>>> dxb-rhn at tesla.ioppublishing.com 01/13/05 11:08AM >>>
All,

I'd be interested in hearing about what different policies, if any,
people have for automatically updating their servers via RHN.

Here, we're not too keen on letting production servers update
themselves, after a couple of problems we've had in the past.

So far, our best proposed solution is to automatically update our
non-production servers on a set period (e.g. once a month) and, based on
whether there have been any problems or not, apply the same updated
packages to the production servers after a period of evaluation (e.g. a
further two weeks).

Any other thoughts welcome.

Regards,
David