[rhn-users] Re: up2date reason for skipping packages

Mon Jan 17 14:42:45 UTC 2005

Bret McMillan wrote:
>>Are there a list of errors and explanations for reasons such as "Config
>>modified" when up2date is skipping packages?
>

> No list, per-say, but in my experience there are 3 primary reasons
> up2date decides to skip a package:
>
> 1.  it matches an entry in the package skip list, ala 'kernel*'
>
> 2.  a file the rpm contains matches an entry in the file skip list,
>     ala '/etc/foo/never-change-this.txt'
>
> 3.  you have selected the "do not overwrite locally modified config
>     files" option (see 'up2date --config', 'Retrieval Options', and
>     'Package Retrieval Options')
>
> --Bret

Hi Bret,

I have configured the up2date's "noReplaceConfig" to NO and it does
update the packages(caching-nameserver) that is complaining about
"Config modified".

The /etc/named.conf has been modified and rpm basically saved the
original file as named.conf.rpmsave. The named server was stopped (I think).

How do the general public handle this type of problem on a production
server?

Liming