[rhn-users] Re: rhnsd daemon update

Tue Jan 18 00:08:51 UTC 2005

Jesse Becker wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 15, 2005 at 09:50:45PM +0800, Tsai Li Ming wrote:
>
>>From the rhn website, "The Red Hat Network Daemon (rhnsd) periodically
>>connects to Red Hat Network to check for updates and notifications."
>>
>>Does the rhnsd daemon perform system updates using up2date
>>automatically, similar to yumd? If not, can up2date be configured to
>

> The rhnsd program will check for updates approximately once every two
> hours.  However, I have heard reports, and directly seen, that rhnsd
> will occasionally get stuck, and do nothing at all until it is restarted.
>

>>update the system automatically without having to use a cron job?
>

> This is the purpose of rhnsd.  However, I have found it more reliable to
> simply run /usr/sbin/rhn_check from cron.

Does rhnsd update the system automatically, similar to doing a up2date
-u in a cron? The default rhnsd runs for every 4 hours. Updates were not
installed when I started rhnsd and left it running for a day and there's
nothing in the /var/log/message except it is running rhn_check.
Furthermore, when I ran rhn_check -v as root, there are no outputs.

I'm running up2date-4.2.57-2.