[rhn-users] Re: rhnsd daemon update

nathan r. hruby nhruby at uga.edu
Wed Jan 19 17:31:18 UTC 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Tsai Li Ming wrote:

>> I'd be just as careful about expecting rhnsd to keep boxes freshly updated,
>> when it gets stuck and/or dies randomly.  And yes, I do have good and
>> reliable backups. ;-)
>>

> How often do RH upgrades break stuff? Any examples?

Major: RHEL 3 Update 3's kernel refused to boot on specific machines with a
aacraid card and newer firmwares.  RH did not fix the issue till Update 4.

Minor: Update 4 update bind but there were some initial dependency problems, and
caching-nameserver doesn't have config(norepace) on /etc/named.conf

The point is.. having a production machine that server real data to real
people with auto-update enabled and pointed at rhn.redhat.com is asking
for trouble.  If you have the ability to internally QA (and address) each
patch before releasing to your proxy or Satellite (and thus, your
production machines), then auto-update can be very handy.

-n
nathan hruby <nhruby at uga.edu>
uga enterprise information technology services
production systems support
metaphysically wrinkle-free