[rhn-users] How to modify RPM release from 'rpm --rebuild' command line?

Paul A. Kennedy pakenned at beckman.uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 25 15:03:29 UTC 2005

Hello,

I have an RPM supplied through RHN that supports a conditional build.  The
rebuild process works just fine using a command of the form:

    rpmbuild --rebuild --define 'param 1' ./name-version-release.src.rpm  2>&1

This rebuilds name-version-release.rpm and places it in the appropriate place
under %_topdir, but the problem is that there is nothing in the release (or
serial number) to distinguish it from the RHN supplied RPM.

I'd like to automate the building of this RPM and have it distinguishable from
the RHN supplied RPM and have up2date and yum consider it younger than the RHN
supplied RPM.

Beyond changing the spec file every time this package changes (and for every
package for which this is true), is there a way that I can modify the release
from the command line?  Ideally I would like to be able to append something to
the release string.

Thanks for any help.

Paul