[rhn-users] problem with usb device

Per Lindahl per at bea.com
Wed Jan 26 08:18:53 UTC 2005

This is due to Linux expect to find a partition 1 when in most cases
there is no /dev/sda1 just /dev/sda

Fdisk -l /dev/sda would confirm such configuration.

That configuration usually happens when the usb disk is created in
windows. All you need to do is to create a partition within linux (all
data will be destroyed) using your favorite tool.

Make sure that when your done. fdisk -l /dev/sda displays a /dev/sda1
(if your going to use it from windows don't forget to create it as
fat32)

Then mkfs.vfat /dev/sda1

Hope that helped.

//Per