[rhn-users] ntp server implementation

Corné Beerse cbeerse at lycos.nl
Thu Jan 27 09:27:05 UTC 2005

Claudio Jofre wrote:

> hi:
> i will implement in my network one ntp-server. for this i will usage on
> machine that have the redhat linux AS 2.1 instaled.
>
> now, i have install the ntp package and have sincronize for one external
> server from mi country. but, i dont can find the documentation, for
> configure the ntpd (or i need install other package for this idea?) for
> accept the conexion from the other machine in mi network for sincronize
> this other machine.

The ntp (xntp, ntpd, xntpd) documentation is not in a unix fashion. Most (all)
can be found at http://www.ntp.org/

If you are looking for (remote) servers, I can advise to use the "pool.ntp.org"
construcion (http://www.pool.ntp.org/). In shourt: use "pool.ntp.org" for server
if you use one, or use "0.pool.ntp.org", "1.pool.ntp.org" and "2.pool.ntp.org"
if you plan to use 3 remote servers.

btw: there are also national settings, for The Netherlands (.nl) I use
"nl.pool.ntp.org" (and "0.nl.pool.ntp.org"...) Be noted, not all nations have
sufficient public servers to have a national pool.

CBee