[rhn-users] RH ES4 & SuperMicro Serial ATA Raid

Shadd Gallegos shaddga at us.ibm.com
Thu Jul 7 18:21:06 UTC 2005

I have seen this with IBM HostRAID as well, and in addition when I try to
install RH with a driver disk with "linux dd" it accepts my a320 driver
then superseedes it with the native scsi aix27xx driver and I my host raid
fails. The way I have gotten around this is to install on sda and then
remove the 27xx driver and install the a320 then reboot and the raid works.
Verify that the driver you have installed is up and runnng and that the
native rhdriver hasent taken over.

Shadd Gallegos
WW e1350 Linux Cluster Development Interface to Manufacturing
ShaddGa at us.ibm.com
Desk 919-543-4258
Cell 919-602-0001
T/L 8-441-4258

                      Roger Weeks
                      <rjw at mcn.org>            To:       rhn-users at redhat.com
                      Sent by:                 cc:
                      rhn-users-bounces        Subject:  [rhn-users] RH ES4 & SuperMicro Serial ATA Raid
                      @redhat.com

                      07/07/2005 12:52
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      Red Hat Network
                      Users List

We're attempting to install RH ES4 on a SuperMicro 2U server.  The
specific model of server is a 6024H-TR.  The motherboard has two
different SATA RAID controllers onboard.

It's a little bit confusing, because the BIOS for both of the SATA
RAID is an "Adaptec Embedded HostRAID v2.2-1.2005".

However, the motherboard documentation on SuperMicro's website
indicates that one SATA RAID is a Marvell 88SX6081 controller, and
the other is a 6300ESB controller.

We have set up two boot drives in RAID1 using the firmware from these
controllers, and on boot the RH CD detects the drives using the
libata ata_piix driver, but this driver doesn't recognize the RAID
capabilities of the controllers and so the drives show up as two
distinct /dev/sda and /dev/sdb drives.

Can anyone provide pointers on how to get a 2.6 kernel working with
RAID 1 on either of these controllers?

--
Roger J. Weeks
Systems & Network Administrator