[rhn-users] hostname in 'localhost' line of /etc/hosts

"Dr. Günter Schmidt" guenter.schmidt at bruker.de
Thu Jul 21 08:03:09 UTC 2005

Riley, Liz (ACHE) wrote:

>Günter,
>
>Only thing I can think of is that you can have a number of names assigned to the IP and well I suppose if you wanted to "ping myhost" why not let it ping 127.0.0.1 ... but, its not what Id be wanting it to do.
>

>>Whenever something like this happens, we get a suppert event, and need a
>>debug session with 'vi' to correct the files, because the suspicious
>>line is never
>>displayed in in the graphical tools.
>>

>I'd vote you report it on bugzilla.
>
>Either they could fix it so you could see the line, or, make it quit putting things in the wrong place. Although it seems Ive not seen anyone else say they have the same. (mind you, I dont tend to use the RH tools.)

I have just done a NFS installation of  'Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS
release 3 (Taroon Update 5)'
with vmware by accepting the default package list, and was not asked for
a hostname.
So the firstime boot was done as localhost.localdomain and if I set
afterwords the hostname
 in 'redhat-config-network' all looks ok.

My previous installations had always been custom installation either all
packages of some additional,
which are needed by our software. I have to retry that.
May be RedHat fixed it already. The last installation where it happened
was with Update 4.

 Günter

Dr. Günter Schmidt   |   E-Mail: gsc at bruker.de
NMR Software         |   Tel: +49 721 5161 443
Bruker BioSpin GmbH  |   Fax: +49 721 5161 480