[rhn-users] up2date does not update

jimwerk at cmps.edu jimwerk at cmps.edu
Tue Jul 19 15:25:06 UTC 2005

Hello all --

I am running Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES (v. 3 for x86) with a valid rhn
subscription.

Whenever I run 'up2date --install' with any valid package name for the
channel, up2date reports "The following packages you requested were not
found:"

If I attempt to install the package by scheduling it from the rhn web
page, then run rhn_check on the system, then check the history on the web
page, I see:
--------------
This action's status is: Completed.
The client picked up this action on 2005-07-19 10:17:45 EDT.
The client completed this action on 2005-07-19 10:17:48 EDT.
Client execution returned "Packages were installed successfully" (code 0)

Packages Scheduled:

vsftpd-1.2.1-3E.1
However, the package is NOT installed -- rpm -q vsftpd returns "package
vsftpd is not installed".

Also, the rhn web page for the system lists 100+ errata waiting to be
installed, but when I run up2date --update, it returns with "All packages
are currently up to date". Also up2date --list returns an empty list.

I've tried rpm --rebuilddb but that hasn't helped.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.