[rhn-users] NIS server problem - cannot login from Unix clients

Aku Orang Ipoh xixa02 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 22 10:10:34 UTC 2005

Hi,

1) Install/Configure md5 passwd encryption to the Unix
client/system (SGI/HP/IBM/Sun/etc) so that the system
USE the md5 encryption an also can READ the passwd md5
encryption from RedHat Linux NIS server.

- OR -

2) Disable md5 encryption on the RedHat Linux NIS
server. This can be done by :

2a) Run this command (at RedHat Linux NIS server)

     # system-config-authentification
       (then deselect md5 in the interface)
         -- This is for Fedora Core

     # redhat-config-authentification
       (then deselect md5 in the interface)
         -- This is for RedHat 9 & 8(maybe)

2b) OR run this command (at RedHat Linux NIS server)

     # authconfig-gtk
       (then deselect md5 in the interface)

2c) OR run this command (at RedHat Linux NIS server)

     # authconfig --kickstart --disablemd5

After run any of the above command, the NIS server
will no longer use md5 encryption when add new user
(passwd), but the existing users are still use the md5
encryption passwd, and the server can recognise it.
You need to change the passwd for Unix clients to
login.

Thanks.

- aku orang ipoh -

--- Aku Orang Ipoh <xixa02 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote on
26/5/2004:

> Hello all,
>
> I setup one NFS/NIS server using Red Hat Linux v 9,
> and the clients are SGI (O/S Irix) and IBM (O/S AIX)
> workstations for my customer. The server setup are
> OK
> and running well when I tried to use another Red Hat
> Linux as client (NIS user can login from this
> client).
> When I tried to use SGI Irix, the user cannot login
> with the error "user cannot login". Then I check the
> NIS passwd (using "ypcat passwd"), and found that
> the
> RH9 passwd encryption are longer than Irix. Example
> are as below :
>
> SGI Irix ->
> usr1:EJr2z35mE2892:1972:0:Testing:/usr1:/bin/bash
>
> RH9 NIS (using ypcat passwd) ->

nis1:$1$oUopbKaO$0NdOP/shwoB7ZOvJretLn1:502:502::/NFS/nis1:/bin/bash