[rhn-users] RHN downtime

Hosey, Chester Chester.Hosey at gianteagle.com
Thu Jul 28 19:07:38 UTC 2005

So I'm in the middle of installing RHEL Desktop 4u1 on my supervisor's
supervisor's desktop, when I find out that RHN is down and I can't
register the machine. Apparently setting up some form of redundancy or
doing any sort of QA on RHN would hurt Satellite sales, so for us mere
users it's the sort of reliability I'd expect out of a Dodge Neon with a
slipping transmission and blown head gasket.

RHN was sloooow yesterday, broken today. Judging from limited past
experience and the rhn-outage mailing list this is the sort of service
Red Hat considers to be good enough. Fortunately for them, given recent
events I can't appropriately make a trite "We can send a man to the
moon, but we can't..." comment.

Of course this doesn't reflect the opinion of my employer. I'm sure that
the RHN outage made me look much worse than it does Red Hat.