[rhn-users] RHN downtime

Clifford Perry cperry at redhat.com
Fri Jul 29 13:28:00 UTC 2005

Hosey, Chester wrote:

> So I'm in the middle of installing RHEL Desktop 4u1 on my supervisor's
> supervisor's desktop, when I find out that RHN is down and I can't
> register the machine. Apparently setting up some form of redundancy or
> doing any sort of QA on RHN would hurt Satellite sales, so for us mere
> users it's the sort of reliability I'd expect out of a Dodge Neon with
> a slipping transmission and blown head gasket.
>
> RHN was sloooow yesterday, broken today. Judging from limited past
> experience and the rhn-outage mailing list this is the sort of service
> Red Hat considers to be good enough. Fortunately for them, given
> recent events I can't appropriately make a trite "We can send a man to
> the moon, but we can't…" comment.
>
> Of course this doesn't reflect the opinion of my employer. I'm sure
> that the RHN outage made me look much worse than it does Red Hat.

Since this was not a scheduled outage event a notice was posted to the
rhn-outage-list yesterday. This was after a review of what happened had
been completed. As such there is also now a scheduled outage window for
Friday night (tonight).

For more details, see :
https://www.redhat.com/archives/rhn-outage-list/2005-July/msg00000.html

Regards,