[rhn-users] LSI driver not loading automatically... :-(

Michael Weber mweber at alliednational.com
Fri Jun 3 18:24:40 UTC 2005

Greetings!

I am running a RedHat ES 3.0 server.  I have a tape drive that was
connected to an Adaptec card, but the card went south so I plugged the
cable into the on-board SCSI adapter which is an LSI chip.

Since the on-board adapter was not enabled at installation time (bad
motherboard), the
drivers were not installed.  Since I have enabled the LSI (replaced the
MB yesterday),
I cannot get the kernel to load the drivers automatically.

I downloaded the newest set from both IBM (it's an x345 box) and LSI.
The drivers come with an RPM that I installed, but that simply loaded
the drivers into the /tmp/mptlinix~~~ directory.

So, I looked for a compatible set of drivers (it loaded 43 different
versions) but didn't find one for the kernel I am using
(2.4.21-27.0.4.ELsmp)

Failing that, I copied what looked to be the closest version,
2.4.21-15.ELsmp, into the
/lib/modules/2.4.21-27.0.4.ELsmp/kernel/drivers/message/fusion
directory, after making a copy of course, and insmod-ded the mpt
drivers.

The drivers loaded, but complained about being the wrong kernel
version
and so loaded them as tainted.  Since that failed, I went back to the
drivers that were in the /lib/modules tree to start with, and manually
loaded
them.  That worked, but they are gone after a reboot.  So, for now I
run
a script at boot up to modprobe both the mptscsih and st modules.

I guess I'm not sure how to get modules to load automatically.  I have
the
following in my /etc/modules.conf:

alias eth0 e1000
alias eth1 e1000
alias scsi_hostadapter qla2300
alias usb-controller usb-ohci
alias scsi_hostadapter1 mptscsih

In the past I was only able to get the correct drivers from a clean
installation.  I hope I don't have to do that here.

Thanx for your help!

-Michael

E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication and any associated
file(s) may contain privileged, confidential or proprietary
information or be protected from disclosure under law ("Confidential
Information").  Any use or disclosure of this Confidential Information,
or taking any action in reliance thereon, by any individual/entity
other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited.  This
Confidential Information is intended solely for the use of the
individual(s) addressed. If you are not an intended recipient, you
have received this Confidential Information in error and have an
obligation to promptly inform the sender and permanently destroy,
in its entirety, this Confidential Information (and all copies
thereof).  E-mail is handled in the strictest of confidence by
Allied National, however, unless sent encrypted, it is not a secure
communication method and may have been intercepted, edited or
altered during transmission and therefore is not guaranteed.