[rhn-users] local repository because of slow up2date?

Paul Dekkers Paul.Dekkers at surfnet.nl
Thu Jun 9 14:01:20 UTC 2005

Hi,

We're starting to have more and more RH systems, and the thing I always
find frustrating is the download-speeds I get with up2date. (I'm used to
fast downloads for about everything else ;-)) Since I cannot use another
public mirror (since there are none?) with RH, I wonder if it's possible
to create my own.

I know there is something like the RHN proxy server (and sattelite), but
as far as I know they have some strange requirements (2.1 box) and cost
a vast amount of money that I don't want to spend on this.
Is it possible to just have the RPMs I need downloaded, or cached or
something and updated via yum or up2date somehow?

For example: I only get ~70-90 k/sec at this moment, and the update
after my AS 3 U3 installation takes for about half an hour :-(
(The iso image download isn't fast either btw, that's why I didn't
download newer iso's.)

Paul

P.S. I almost wonder if something like centos or xos linux wouldn't be
better; the updates are at least provided with a different mechanism and
I can use a local mirror for that (even one that is on our backbone :-)).