[rhn-users] shutdown services when upgrading

Jim Pelton jpelton at noaa.gov
Fri Jun 10 14:18:33 UTC 2005

This is a relatively simple question, I think...

So I'm trying to develop a good strategy for updating (with up2date)
some web servers and several other production level boxes.  My question
arose out of the need to update httpd on the web farm.  If I go ahead
and update, will the rpm %pre and %post scripts (or whatever does this
type of thing) shutdown the httpd service, update and then bring it back
up?

Also, is there an easy way to go about finding this information, with
out just doing a test run on a test machine?  It is important to
understand the way these things work if any sort of automation is to be
trusted!

Thanks much,

Jim
jim.pelton at noaa.gov