[rhn-users] shutdown services when upgrading

Curtis Doty Curtis at GreenKey.net
Fri Jun 10 21:29:29 UTC 2005

Jim Pelton wrote:

> So I'm trying to develop a good strategy for updating (with up2date)
> some web servers and several other production level boxes.  My
> question arose out of the need to update httpd on the web farm.  If I
> go ahead and update, will the rpm %pre and %post scripts (or whatever
> does this type of thing) shutdown the httpd service, update and then
> bring it back up?

To answer your own question, try:

    # rpm -q --scripts httpd

Herer is a way to accomplish what you want:

    # up2date -i httpd && service httpd condrestart

> Also, is there an easy way to go about finding this information, with
> out just doing a test run on a test machine?  It is important to
> understand the way these things work if any sort of automation is to
> be trusted!

Use the source, Luke. :-) Or TFM:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/stopping.html

../C

--
These are not the droids you're looking for. - Obi-Wan Kenobi