[rhn-users] RHEL4, kickstart reinstallation problem

Neil Marjoram n.marjoram at adastral.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Jun 13 13:03:25 UTC 2005

I have just installed my first RHEL4 system, and now need to build a
second identical system.

I am able to use DHCP / PXE boot and NFS to successfully install FC3
systems, so copied in the RHEL4 distribution and took the kickstart from
the first server.

First install was OK, but I decided to change an option and reinstall.
Unfortunatley it seems that the clearpart --all option in the kickstart
file may not clearing the partitions from the harddrives before
attempting to reinstall. (At least I think that is what is happening).

Does anyone have a workround for this?

Extract from the kickstart file for disk configuration, as you can see I
have tried different clearpart options.

clearpart --drives sda,sdb --initlabel
part raid.9 --size=100 --ondisk=sda
part raid.18 --size=100 --ondisk=sdb
part raid.22 --size=40000 --ondisk=sdb
part raid.6 --size=40000 --ondisk=sda
part raid.31 --size=5000 --ondisk=sdb
part raid.12 --size=5000 --ondisk=sda
part raid.20 --size=3000 --ondisk=sdb
part raid.5 --size=3000 --ondisk=sda
part raid.25 --size=1000 --ondisk=sdb
part swap --size=1000 --ondisk=sdb
part swap --size=1000 --ondisk=sda
part raid.7 --size=1000 --ondisk=sda
part raid.63 --size=500 --ondisk=sdb
part raid.60 --size=500 --ondisk=sda
part raid.28 --size=500 --ondisk=sdb
part raid.4 --size=500 --ondisk=sda
raid /www --fstype ext3 --level=RAID1 raid.12 raid.31
raid / --fstype ext3 --level=RAID1 raid.4 raid.28
raid /var --fstype ext3 --level=RAID1 raid.6 raid.22
raid /usr --fstype ext3 --level=RAID1 raid.5 raid.20
raid /boot --fstype ext3 --level=RAID1 raid.9 raid.18
raid /tmp --fstype ext3 --level=RAID1 raid.7 raid.25
raid /chroot --fstype ext3 --level=RAID1 raid.60 raid.63

Thanks,

Neil.

--
Neil Marjoram