[rhn-users] RedHat AS4 (w/SE Linux) Update 1

Robin robinr at muohio.edu
Thu Jun 30 17:07:14 UTC 2005

All,

Somehow, we've got RedHat AS3 which at 3rd and 4th upgrades still
experience panic issues every week or so.
bugzilla.redhat.com pointed out it's auditd and perhaps some other
issues. I've setup netdumps, etc., and seem to point out to auditd.
I've disabled auditd on production machines running RedHat AS3. RedHat
AS3 (Update 4) has some other issues, in addition of auditd.
Since there are several admins personnels, I've to discuss w/ them  for
the updates so as to get all the systems to the latest 5th update.
It's a bit annoying to see kernel panic that often. An update seems
necessary to me.

I used Slack at home. I've compiled many versions of kernel. I've tried
out 3rd party patches at home. All work fine w/ IDE, SCSI, network card,
etc.
None of them panics like RedHat AS.

The work environment decides to go w/ RedHat (for the advertised support
from IBM, etc.).

On a test machine, I've just installed RedHAt AS4 (w/ SELinux) Update 1
on a dual CPU machine.
It detected both CPUs, but somehow, it failed to use both CPUs. I've
searched bugzilla on RedHat AS4 on the matter and didn't find anything
(perhaps I need to search deeper?).

# uname -r
2.6.9-11.ELsmp

dmesg | grep -i cpu:
ACPI: Processor [CPU0] (supports C1)
ACPI: Processor [CPU1] (supports C1)

x86info v1.13.  Dave Jones 2001-2003
Feedback to <davej at redhat.com>.

Found 2 CPUs
CPU #1
Family: 6 Model: 8 Stepping: 6 Type: 0 Brand: 2
CPU Model: Pentium III-M (Coppermine) [cC0] Original OEM
Feature flags:
 fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse
Extended feature flags:

L1 Instruction cache:
	Size: 16KB	4-way associative.
	line size=32 bytes.
L1 Data cache:
	Size: 16KB	4-way associative.
	line size=32 bytes.
L2 unified cache:
	Size: 256KB	8-way associative.
	line size=32 bytes.
Instruction TLB: 4KB pages, 4-way associative, 32 entries
Instruction TLB: 4MB pages, fully associative, 2 entries
Data TLB: 4KB pages, 4-way associative, 64 entries
Data TLB: 4MB pages, 4-way associative, 8 entries
CPU #2
Family: 6 Model: 8 Stepping: 6 Type: 0 Brand: 2
CPU Model: Pentium III-M (Coppermine) [cC0] Original OEM
Feature flags:
 fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse
Extended feature flags:

L1 Instruction cache:
	Size: 16KB	4-way associative.
	line size=32 bytes.
L1 Data cache:
	Size: 16KB	4-way associative.
	line size=32 bytes.
L2 unified cache:
	Size: 256KB	8-way associative.
	line size=32 bytes.
Instruction TLB: 4KB pages, 4-way associative, 32 entries
Instruction TLB: 4MB pages, fully associative, 2 entries
Data TLB: 4KB pages, 4-way associative, 64 entries
Data TLB: 4MB pages, 4-way associative, 8 entries
WARNING: Detected SMP, but unable to access cpuid driver.
Used Uniprocessor CPU routines. Results inaccurate.

cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 8
model name      : Pentium III (Coppermine)
stepping        : 6
cpu MHz         : 927.759
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse
bogomips        : 1830.91

processor       : 1
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 8
model name      : Pentium III (Coppermine)
stepping        : 6
cpu MHz         : 927.759
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse
bogomips        : 1851.39

Thanks,
Robin