[rhn-users] up2date does not work

Alfred Hovdestad alfred.hovdestad at usask.ca
Wed Mar 23 19:27:32 UTC 2005

I had the same problem.  I manually downloaded the rpm* packages
(up2date -d rpm-libs which also downloaded rpm, rpm-build, rpm-devel and
rpm-python).  I then upgraded these packages manually (rpm -Uvh
rpm*.rpm) and I still had problems when I tried to do an up2date:

# rpm --rebuilddb
rpmdb: Program version 4.2 doesn't match environment version

I ended up removing the -__db* files in /var/lib/rpm

# cd  /var/lib/rpm
# rm __db*

After that, I was able to do a regular up2date:

# up2date -u --nox

You might want to try removing the /var/lib/rpm/__db* files first to see
if that works.  You might also want to try to update the package list
after you install the rpm rpm's (up2date -p).

    Alfred Hovdestad
    University of Saskatchewan