[rhn-users] Outbound mail using mail and/or sendmail

Eric Van Steenbergen evs at kerridge.be
Mon Mar 7 13:28:13 UTC 2005

Hello,

I'm having some problems getting mail out to another server. The servers IP
is listed in /etc/hosts, I can ping it, but when I trie to send out mail, it
doesn't arrive at destination. What am I forgetting?

mail -v -s "test 2" evs at kerridge.com < /backup/backup.status
evs at kerridge.com... Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay...
220 localhost.localdomain ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.11/8.12.11; Mon, 7 Mar 2005
14:15:08 +0100
>>> EHLO localhost.localdomain
250-localhost.localdomain Hello rhbelgium [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE
250-DSN
250-ETRN
250-AUTH GSSAPI
250-DELIVERBY
250 HELP
AUTH=root at localhost.localdomain
250 2.1.0 <root at localhost.localdomain>... Sender ok
>>> RCPT To:<evs at kerridge.com>
>>> DATA
250 2.1.5 <evs at kerridge.com>... Recipient ok
354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
>>> .
250 2.0.0 j27DF8P8023381 Message accepted for delivery
evs at kerridge.com... Sent (j27DF8P8023381 Message accepted for delivery)
Closing connection to [127.0.0.1]
>>> QUIT
221 2.0.0 localhost.localdomain closing connection

What seems odd to mee is that the mail program is connecting to the
localhost (127.0.0.1). Is it safe to say that on the same server the mail is
put in a queue for sending but is for some reason not sent? Can anyone
indicate what I've forgotten/done wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Eric Van Steenbergen
Network Facility Manager
Technical Field Engineer

Kerridge Automotive Systems - Belgian Branch
a division of Kerridge Computer Company Ltd.

Rijvisschestraat 118/6
9052 Gent
Tel.: +32 9 240 15 50
Fax: +32 9 240 15 51
E-mail: evs at kerridge.be

  _____

This  message  (including  any  attachments)  is  confidential  and  may be
privileged.  If you have received it by mistake please notify the sender by
return  e-mail  and  delete this message from your system. Any unauthorised
use  or  dissemination  of  this  message  in  whole or in part is strictly
prohibited.  Please  note  that e-mails are unsceptible to change. Kerridge
Computer Company shall not be liable for the improper or incomplete
transmission of the information contained in this communication  nor  for
any delay in its receipt or damage to your system. Kerridge Computer Company
does not guarantee that the integrity of  this  communication  has  been
maintained  nor  that  this communication is free of viruses, interceptions
or interference.
This e-mail message has been scanned for Viruses and Content by Sophos
Anti-Virus and MailMarshal.

  _____