[rhn-users] foomatic-rip.

lin77sys lin77sys at yahoo.it
Wed Mar 9 07:02:54 UTC 2005

I am trying to configure a  TCP/IP network attached
IBM 6400 printer (it could emulate Epson or IBM
Proprinter) with RH AS v.3. I use CUPS from command
line.
While I successfully configured and printed a Windows
shared laser printer with Samba (I also downloaded PPD
file), I cannot do the same with the IBM6400.

I scanned it using nmap and obtained this report:

Starting nmap V. 3.00 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
Interesting ports on  (10.18.100.82):
(The 1592 ports scanned but not shown below are in
state: closed)
Port       State       Service
21/tcp     open        ftp
23/tcp     open        telnet
80/tcp     open        http
514/tcp    open        shell
515/tcp    open        printer
631/tcp    open        ipp
3001/tcp   open        nessusd
5001/tcp   open        commplex-link
9100/tcp   open        jetdirect

I tried may configuration: socket, ipp, lpr etc. but
it didn't work anyway.

Also it seems to me that I don't have foomatic-rip
even if I installed all the printing default RPMs
distributed with RedHat AS v.3. I didn't find
foomatic-rip in any directory.

Please, could you help me ?

Thank you!