[rhn-users] USB flash memory card reader media is unmountable by non-root users

Kueffer, Walter K wk at hp.com
Sat Mar 19 00:11:52 UTC 2005

When I plug in a flash drive, hotplug
  - identifies the device
  - changes the ownership of the device to the console owner
  - creates the symlink
  - updates /etc/fstab
and as a result, the flash drive is mountable by a non-root user.

This is the behavior that I desire.

However, when I plug-in my 4-port USB flash memory card reader, hotplug
  - identifies the devices (all 4 of them after increasing
max_scsi_luns)
  - creates the symlinks
  - updates /etc/fstab
but does *NOT* change the ownership of the device from root to the
console owner and as a result, the card reader is unmountable by
non-root users.

I need these devices to be mountable by non-root users.  I've setup an
automounter so that users can use the devices, but this still seems to
be buggy behavior.  And when the device is mounted through the
automounter, it doesn't create a desktop icon to the device, which is a
piece of functionality that I'd like to have.