[rhn-users] Install RHEL4 ES

Roel roel at rksalomons.nl
Mon May 23 12:37:28 UTC 2005

Hello,

I have an X86 system, with a 160G HD and a CD-DVD writer, no floppy
drive however.
The system runs Redhat 9 at the moment.

I now want to install the Enterprise version of Redhat, ES, release 4.
To that end I have downloaded the ISO images and put them in separate
directories on the HD, /mnt/cd1, /mnt/cd2, /mnt/cd3, /mnt/cd4.
I have checksummed the ISO images.

I have decided that I will install Linux 4 over the present version, and
have backup up the system.

I still have to create an installation CDROM, so I turn to section 2.4.2
of the manual and followed the instructions there and issued the
necessary commands to create the CD. Next I burned the resulting
"file.iso" to a CD-ROM.

I then changed the BIOS settings in order to boot from CDROM.

Finally I reboot the system with the CD in place and wait for the boot
prompt to appear.

But I wait in vain, because the boot prompt does not appear, and the
system is instead booting the old version Red Hat 9.
Maybe the CDROM was corrupt. So I burned another one. However the same
result.

Please some advice.

How do I now proceed ?

Grtz,