[rhn-users] fatal unpack error during up2date -u

Doerbeck, Christoph Christoph.Doerbeck at FMR.COM
Tue May 24 11:07:32 UTC 2005

You might try "up2date -p" which (I think) should refresh the system
profile on the  rhn server.  Follow-up with a "up2date --list" to see
if the missing packages are now flagged as requiring updates.

What version of RHN proxy are you using?

Christoph

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Pelton [mailto:Jim.Pelton at noaa.gov]
Sent: Monday, May 23, 2005 6:33 PM
To: rhn-users at redhat.com
Subject: [rhn-users] fatal unpack error during up2date -u

Hello List!

Here's a tricky one for ya!  We've got a RHN proxy server, through which

we communicate with a RHN satellite server.  Now the proxy is working
great.  It seems to be communicating correctly with the satellite server

and downloading rpm patches to its database.  I have a test machine
running which applies updates downloaded from the proxy via up2date.

The issue is this:  we ran up2date -u (from the command line) on a
client machine and during the install phase of the update, the process
died completely.  This error was issued: "There was a rpm unpack error
installing the package: gnome-applets-2.2.2-2.1E."  Normally one would
restart the process, assuming that it would pick up where it left off.
RPM is supposed to be quite robust correct?  Well, up2date -u (as well
as up2date -l) claims that the system is up to date but something like
30 packages where not installed--they where d/led however as they where
confirmed in /var/spool/up2date.  If we log onto the satellite server
the system is claimed to be up2date there as well.  The output of "rpm
-qa | nl" shows 507 packages, the same as the satellite server.  The
interesting thing is that if we "grep" the output of "rpm -qa" with a
package name that was not installed before the fatal rpm unpack error,
not even the old package is shown as being installed!

We wiped out /var/spool/up2date in an effort to "trick" up2date into
downloading and installing the packages again but we now know that
up2date does not even look there for confirmation of what it has
downloaded.
So what could the problem be?

Thanks is advance, I understand this is probably more of an RPM issue
but since it does involve a lot of RHN stuff I thought I'd post here
anyway.

--Jim