[rhn-users] Management Entitlement, but no Base Channel

Clifford Perry cperry at redhat.com
Fri May 27 17:59:11 UTC 2005

Tim Evans wrote:

>I have a RHEL 3 system under Management entitlement, but cannot run up2date
>manually; doing so gets a message about not having a base channel.
>
>If I go to RHN and log in, I can see my system having Management entitlement,
>but it will not let me associate it with any base channel.
>
>Can someone explain this?  Or suggest a way to let me run up2date manually?
>
>Thanks.

The most common causes I would say are:
- missing redhat-release package from package profile of registered
system - typically because of corrupt rpm database OR maybe registered a
Fedora system to RHN
- installed say a Enterprise Linux 3 ES version of redhat-release and
have no free ES slots within RHN (ES is just an example)

RHN looks to see what version of redhat-release you have installed to
determine what base channel to associate a system to when it registers
to RHN.

Cliff.