[rhn-users] RHEL 4.0 Update 1 INIT script error

Shane McKinney shane.mckinney at alliancesystems.com
Fri Sep 23 16:04:22 UTC 2005

Hello,

I have installed the default installation of Red Hat Enterprise Linux
4.0 (Update 1) over serial on a headless system.  I'm getting a weird
"error".  During the O/S startup, sometime before entering runlevel 1, I
get a message the following message:  INIT:  Entering runlevel 8.  INIT:
There are no more processes to run at this level.

Needless to say, there is no runlevel 8 defined in inittab nor is there
an rc8.d directory so INIT just halts and I never get to the login
screen.  I've looked at inittab and all the scripts and I'm unable to
determine why this is happening.  I can boot into single user mode but
as soon as I move to runlevel 1, 2 or 3 then I get this error.

Any ideas?

Shane McKinney
Engineering
shane.mckinney at alliancesystems.com
Main: 972-633-3400
Fax: 972-633-3499
www.alliancesystems.com

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received it by mistake, please let us know by e-mail reply and delete it from your system; you may not copy this message or disclose any confidential contents to anyone.