[rhn-users] RedHat Licensing stinks

Philippe B. Laval plaval at kennesaw.edu
Thu Sep 1 13:56:19 UTC 2005

I thought when RedHat went from 9.0 to the Enterprise stuff it was terrible
for small and mid-size users.  It is even worse.  Last year I bought a
machine with Linux installed on it.  My one year subscription for update has
run out.  After talking with people at RedHat, I am told I have to pay $179
for this year in order to get the very basic updates.  If I want more, I
have to spend almost $300.  With 7.x, 8.x and 9.x it used to cost $60 a
year.  Can anybody tell me if there is a cheaper way to keep my RedHat
system up to date?  If there is not, this unacceptable.  Even Microsoft does
not do such awful things (Windows updates are free).

Dr. Philippe B. Laval
Associate Professor of Mathematics
Kennesaw State University
1000 Chastain Road