[rhn-users] RHN automatic errata update stopped working formysystems

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 13:21:56 UTC 2006

On 8/10/06, Riley, Liz (ACHE) <Liz.Riley at smiths-aerospace.com> wrote:

> Yes, but then I would rather know when my systems updated than have it
> reset a package in the middle of the working day, example: mySQL, how
> frustrating would it be if it bounced mySQL in the middle of something
> important?

Very frustrating indeed. That is why I don't use this feature on most
of my systems and certainly not on any servers. I would be hesitant to
run up2date -u from cron too on a server for the same reason. I
suspect most of the systems here with auto errata update turned on are
people's desktops or machines in lab environments. These aren't
centrally controlled in our case so there isn't much I can do except
get the word out.

In many cases though your suggestion is good for a workaround and
maybe even to just catch problems with this feature when it is used.
The spreading of the load provided by using auto errata update (not
having large numbers of machines smacking your server at the same
instant) is still appealing to me though. Hopefully it will be fixed
soon.

John