[rhn-users] Re: Gigabit transfer speeds

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Sat Aug 19 05:56:12 UTC 2006

On 18Aug2006 23:25, Dan Hunter <dmhunter at charter.net> wrote:
| I regularly move large files from a windows XP machine to a Fedora Core 5
| machine.
| To avoid bothering other network users, I purchased two Linksys EG1032
| gigabit ether net cards.
[...]
| Transfers over the 10/100 link show up at 82 or 83 percent - about 80 Mbps.
| Transfers over the gigabit link show up at 20 to 26 percent - about 230 Mbps.

230Mbps is around 20MBps. What are your hard drives capable of
sustaining? Eg: on your Linux box, try:

	# test write of 4GB to your disc
	time dd if=/dev/zero of=/some/file/name bs=1048576 count=4096

	# test read speed from disc
	time cat very-big-file >/dev/null

That eliminates the network from the picture - see just how faster you
can actually read the data (and write - the times won't be quite the same I
expect). Devise a similar test for the Windows box. Choose files you've
not accessed previously to avoid the system's buffer pool fooling you.

I expect hard drives (in the absense of special setup) to only yield 20
or 30MBps; that may explain your results. The network may be just fine.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

I always thought that if you have too many errors that the compiler catches,
the compiler should aid your program development by deleting the source.
        - meissner at osf.org