[rhn-users] Gigabit transfer speeds

Corne Beerse cbeerse at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 12:42:10 UTC 2006

Dan Hunter wrote:

> I regularly move large files from a windows XP machine to a Fedora
> Core 5 machine.
> To avoid bothering other network users, I purchased two Linksys EG1032
> gigabit ether net cards.
> The cards have been installed.  a direct PC to PC gigabit cross over
> cable connects them.
> A separate set of IP address have been set up.
> I can verify that data is being transfered over the gigabit cable with
> windows task manager.
>
> Transfers over the 10/100 link show up at 82 or 83 percent - about 80
> Mbps.
> Transfers over the gigabit link show up at 20 to 26 percent - about
> 230 Mbps.
>
> What do I have set up wrong?

Your expectations are to high. If you have about 20% utilisation with a
Gbit nic, I'd say you are doing verry nice.

With the move to gigabit networking, the nic is no longer the
bottleneck. If you move data from disk on one machine or to disk on an
other, the disk-controllers, disk interfaces or even the actual disks
are most likely the bottlenecks. Then, the disk does not need to be the
bottleneck. Think about the speed of internal busses and for which they
are used while you are dumping data...

CBee