[rhn-users] Re: rhn-users Digest, Vol 30, Issue 37

Bill Watson bill at magicdigits.com
Thu Aug 31 18:33:45 UTC 2006

Máirín Duffy replied on 8/21 with a *VERY* helpful list of alternative links
for RedHat related questions.

I too joined this list with a severely wrong impression of what it was
supposed to do. I do not remember where I found this site's link, but most
likely a google search to solve some problem that I was having. I didn't
know at that time that this site's sole purpose is RedHat upgrade issues. I
*assumed* that the 'network' of RHN implied a network of experts - the
people, not the patches. I was wrong.

During the registration process, there is a confirmation email sent out.
That would be the optimum place to inform folks such as myself that this
list is ONLY for patches, or whatever minimal focus is appropriate AND
provide links such as Duffy did for better suited mailing lists.

If I read such a confirmation email that this list, though the list solved
the issue I was having, saw it wasn't the proper forum for my needs, I'd
have not confirmed and would have joined the other lists.

I do wonder if this list thinks it appropriate to solve off topic problem
posts as I have done on several occasions.

-Bill Watson

Here is a repeat what Duffy posted:
I think most people use the release-specific lists for that kind of
discussion. For example, nahant-list [1] for issues with Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 4 and taroon-list [2] for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.

It sounds like you may benefit from redhat-sysadmin-list [3] as well.
 From the description: "This list is targeted at professional system
administrators regarding intermediate and advanced system administration
issues related to but not limited to Red Hat Linux."