[rhn-users] SSL problem on satellite server

Clifford Perry cperry at redhat.com
Wed Feb 8 14:08:03 UTC 2006

RHN Satellite at install time by default generates self signed Apache
SSL Certificates, these certificates work fine for SSL communication to
the Satellite. Since the certificate has not been signed by a known
Certificate Authority (such as Verisign, etc) your web browser notices
this and lets you know. Now in the case of version 4 - I assume you are
talking about Satellite version 4 (and plan to migrate from one version
to another) - when you installed satellite 4 - you again generated a new
set of SSL certificates. I expect what is happening is that the SSL
certificate authority is stated as being the same (but have different
signatures) - you web browser says, hey - this second CA has the exact
same name as the other, yet you have already told me that the other is
valid and to proceed, and thus this second instance must be bogus - I
wont let you connect.

Typically the way to get about this is to only accept the CA for the
current session only, then if/when you switch between Satellites to shut
the web browser down and bring it back up again.

Cliff.