[rhn-users] Problem with GLX using NVidia drivers

Mathew Snyder msnyder at servervault.com
Tue Feb 14 02:55:50 UTC 2006

I have three nvidia cards which were working well up until a few days
ago.  3D acceleration was working using the driver provided by nvidia
(v. 1.0-8178) in the .run file.

The other day I attempted to start a second X server in order to test
the performance of a game (America's Army).  I used the command
xinit /usr/local/games/armyops/armyops -- /usr/bin/Xorg :1
as I was instructed that this is how it is done.  It did seem to start a
second X server but the game never came up.

I just left it sitting there until I rebooted thinking it would simply
go away at that point.

However, now I can't get 3D acceleration working.  When I run glxinfo I
get this:

X Error of failed request:  BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  147 (NV-GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  4 ()
  Resource id in failed request:  0x2400002
  Serial number of failed request:  21

I've looked at numerous variations on numerous search strings in Google
using the above information.  I have not found a solution.

I installed 5 RPMs entitled nvidia-graphics8178,
nvidia-graphics-helpers, nvidia-graphics-devices,
nvidia-graphics8178-kmdl, and nvidia-graphics8178-libs.  I then
uninstalled the driver provided by nvidia in the .run file and rebooted.
 The nvidia splash screen still came up and X is working.  However, I
still get the above error from glxinfo.

Any insight will be appreciated.

--
Mathew Snyder