[rhn-users] Motherboard issue.

Craig M. Jameson cjarith at comcast.net
Tue Feb 21 17:07:57 UTC 2006

Okay, here's the situation:

1) I installed RHEL ES4 U1 on a system with an Intel 915 chipset
motherboard (I have ES4 U1 on CD's).

2) My motherboard then died.

3) The motherboard model I had is no longer being manufactured. I
replaced it with an Intel 945 chipset motherboard.

4) The installation program no longer recognizes my hard drive.

5) My subscription to RHN has expired.

For the most part, the system runs fine with the old installation and
new motherboard. But among the few problems I have is the following:

[promt]$cdrecord -scanbus

has always yielded

scsibus0:
      0,0,0     0) 'SONY    ' 'CD-RW  CRX320E  ' 'NYK4' Removable CD-ROM

but

[promt]$cdrecord dev=0,0,0

has never worked and still doesn't.

[promt]$cdrecord dev=2,0,0

used to work but no longer does (with the new motherboard). So I no
longer know how to burn CD's.

Also, installs from the hard drive don't work on this system (and RedHat
doesn't support them).

The question: Do I want to plop down a chunk of money for a new
subscription without knowing whether all these obstacles can be
overcome?

Any thoughts?

Craig.