[rhn-users] Kernel Update Question About 2.6.9-22.0.2.EL

Lee Terrell leet at directcon.net
Sat Feb 25 18:06:24 UTC 2006

Hi All,

I have a group of Dell PowerEdge 2850's I have recently received with
Red Hat ES 4.  The machines all run well after the base install, and I
can up2date everything to the ES 4 Update 2 levels.

After I try a kernel update to 2.6.9-22.0.2.EL or 2.6.9-22.0.2.ELsmp,
either one, after the boot up, I loose X windows capability on the
console, but I can still ssh and manage things that way.  I come from a
background of using Red Hat 6-9 in a command line only environment, and
we wanted to see what benefit we could have by also making X Windows
available under ES 4.

I can log in with ssh and revert back to the original kernel, and the
issue is still there.  My guess is that with the kernel update, some
config for X Windows either gets changed or deleted.  Has anyone else
seen an issue like this and can point me in a direction of a file or
files I can investigate?

Thank you in advance for any advice,
Lee Terrell