[rhn-users] RHEL 4 Update2 always kernel panicing upon large filetransfers

David A. Ranch dranch at trinnet.net
Tue Feb 28 06:59:26 UTC 2006

> My understanding is academic licencing is not meant for production, so
> actually you will be using the server outside the RH licence agreement.
>
>From my understanding, it's totally legal to run RHEL4 AS in an
educational environment but there is no support per the license.  I
spoke to Redhat's sales office and the only way to get cheap support is
to buy a regular ES license and then run a RH RPM that downgrades the
installed OS from AS to ES.  I plan on doing this *if* the machine will
ever be stable.

> So after slapping your wrist I suggest go get a production licence and
> then hassle support. You will also then be able to download the update3
> cds and patch the box properly.

I have a legit RHN login and even when searching the packages database,
only the 2.2.0.2 kernel shows up.

> If you don't want to pay for a rh licence, use Fedora (you would need to
> be mad though it's not exactly stable and has a short user life) or
> Debian (stable but bleeding edge hardware might be an issue) or CentOS.

I'd do CentOS though if RHEL doesn't work.. nor will CentOS.

> Also some of your hardware is a bit "obscure" you might find that it is
> a hardware bug and not a software bug....

Other than the RAID controller, the rest of the HW is known good and is
of server grade.  True, things break but I have no reason to think the
HW is faulty at this point.  Everything else works well (Xwindows,
compiling stuff, etc.)

> IMHO, If you value RedHat's software and indeed Linux you should pay the
> licence.

And I plan on it especially for the 5yrs of patches.. but only if I can
get it to function.  If this won't work, I'll look at other long term
supported distros like Suse or Mandrake.

--David